Sunday, March 4, 2012

All Americans are Nabrit beneficiaries. (James Madison Nabrit, Jr.)(Obituary)

As the president of Howard University, I am often called on to reflect upon Howard's unique legacy. Recently, I was privileged to address this legacy anew as we celebrated the life of Dr. James Madison Nabrit Jr., Howard's second African American president who passed at the age of ninety-seven on December 27, 1997.

As I sat in Rankin Chapel beside great civil rights advocates -- Vernon Jordan and Jack Greenberg -- and higher education leaders -- Walter Massey, president of Morehouse College, President Nabrit's alma mater: Dr. James Cheek, president emeritus of Howard, and Dr. Michael Winston, president of the Alfred Harcourt Foundation -- I once again realized that perhaps my most important role is to bear witness, to make real the …

No comments:

Post a Comment